Thursday, July 23, 2009

reflection: part 1

It's my first full day in New Orleans and I'm enjoying things so far. I also wish I was in Springfield, because there is quite a bit of work I could do while there, but I will work from here (behind this glowing screen) and enjoy the last few days. My thoughts are random and listlike, as usual. Good luck making sense of it.

1. I just bought new glasses today. $164.25 down the drain. Why don't things last? Or why am I going blind?

2. This morning I watched stage 18 in the Tour de France. I was yelling at the tv for Alberto Contador, a rider I don't especially like after his complete lack of tactics, to "Go kid, go!" Then I watched a replay of Barcelona vs. Valencia (that's soccer or futbol, if you're not sure). After that I was really happy. U.S. sports can't capture the history or the splendor of these athletic events; they try to complicate games and magnify the importance of it with round the clock coverage but still they fall short.

3. I'm going to eat a snowball today and twitter about it. It will be the best thing I will have eaten all summer, and it will cost me $1.00.

4. I'm going to make a list of some of my experiences, and I'm not sure how many things I will list, or how many things I will write about. Here begins it:

A. Best shower - the Rainville's new apartment. It was amazingly refreshing after helping them move. It was spacious, with great water pressure, and no one had more colorfully assorted items to use to wash my hair.
*Honorable mention goes to the Simpson's cabin. You hear "cabin" and you think, "This has running water?" But let me tell you, this place has better water pressure than my parents' house. And, after the hottest stretch of driving I had to do on the whole trip, that shower was great. It also contained more toys than I have ever seen in a tub; I was tempted but resisted.

B. Worst shower - tied between #13 at the Mesa Verde Morefield Campground and the Monticello Inn in Monticello, UT. The Morefield Campground did have free showers, which was very nice, but I can only describe this shower in one way - g r o s s. Check out the Monticello Inn website: it looks fairly nice. Well, this place is a hole in the wall, literally. The shower head was worse than the one at the free campground showers; worse than the showers at James River's campground. For the two hottest days I spent hiking, I had to return to the worst shower in the history of showers. That's all I can say.

And that's all for now. You can look forward to much more to come. Right now I'm going to take a nap.

1 comment :

  1. --The price of new glasses is exactly the reason I force myself to wear my silver-framed red ones. Hopefully, you kept your taped ones just in case the new ones falter!

    --What is a snowball? I assume it's something like shaved ice with a million different flavored syrups to drench it in?

    --I certainly hope you wore some kind of sandals in your campground shower! The last time I took a shower at a campground (just outside Virginia Beach), it was G R O S S too! (Mold EVERYWHERE and gigantic bugs all over the place...it was the grossest shower ever and my record for the shortest shower ever... for obvious reasons.)

    ReplyDelete