Monday, March 8, 2010

the ball is rolling

The writing is coming together. Last week we finished writing some expository essays. I hate putting names on things; somehow it makes it sound scarier to me. The kids wrote about something they wanted to write about and something they knew a lot about. They were the experts and they were learning the process of organizing and forming a solid essay. That was fun. It came together well and the results are pretty cool. I'm going to have several posted on the Room 146 Showcase website.

Also, I added some photos to the Room 146 Showcase website. I wish that was basically what the website was all about - showing off the awesome work that the kids do. I think I may try to have a Wiki next year. It could be the storehouse for Reading - I could put copies of our notes/strategies there, then the groups responses each week could be housed there as well. There could be a Recommendations page. I need to think this through, and I need to consider how things are going to be "policed." Unfortunately, that is one thing that is often considered, not by the teachers, but by the administrators (it's a necessary evil to allow some cool stuff to happen in the classroom; I know Julie will back me) and by the parents. If the parents aren't on my side, then I'm sure my life will suck.

Anyway, I feel like we're really beginning to see some great growth, and students are putting things together. They have improved so much in their use of the computers, and they are growing in their personality and maturity. That's the most fun about teaching young kids.

Tonite I went to a girls' indoor soccer game a Lake Country. The parents were really funny. It was a really good game - hard fought and a well-deserved win. That is a wonderful sight to see with young girls competing. I have to admit that being a witness to these things is a fun. I wish I was a bit smarter so that I could figure some amazingly complicated and groundbreaking research on the adolescent mind. That would be cool.

Until another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment