Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Chicago

Wednesday afternoon: taking it easy and doing some work at the Naperville library. Check in for the Scoring Conference starts at 3, so I’ll be leaving in a bit.

Yesterday, my first full day in Chicago was really nice. The drive up was pretty much uneventful, other than the invested sports stories – USA giving up the lead to Italy in the Confederations Cup and finally losing 3-1, and LSU hammering Arkansas in the College World Series, neither of which I was able to see (I followed on my phone).

After spending 8 hours behind the wheel, seeing all that central Missouri and Illinois have to offer, I’m ever more convinced that America = excess. I passed the World’s Largest Gift Shop and Candy Store, along with directions to the World’s Largest Rocking Chair. The World’s Largest Gift Shop wasn’t near any large population center at all, nor was the Rocking Chair functional. So why were they necessary? They weren’t. But some dumb American was convinced that if he/she built the biggest then it would be the best, and that would then transfer to them as individuals. Well, guess what: whoever built and works at the World’s Largest Gift Shop is still just as cool and important and interesting and intelligent (or not) as if they worked at Chili’s or Wal-Mart or Wired. Biggest does not equal best, just ask the German Nazi Military or the British Empire or, more recently, General Motors or Washington Mutual.

And in a completely unrelated note, I passed an exit (179) for Newburg-Doolittle on I-44 in Missouri. Now this got me thinking:
1. Most certainly these are two different towns, but what if they weren’t? What if the town’s name was actually Newburg-Doolittle?
2. Have the people recently moved to the vicinity and it’s just so God-blessed nice that they lost all drive and focus and did nothing – or do nothing? If so, how did they establish the town names?
3. Do the people in Doolittle look on the people of Newburg with contempt because the newcomers are encroaching on their space, and actually doing something?
4. Have the people of Newburg caught on to the fact that they live next to a town called Doolittle, where the people do absolutely nothing all day and all night?

To continue the theme of unrelated notes, I’ve got pictures!

It was absolutely pouring in St. Louis. The people there drive like they don’t know that people die from car wrecks on the interstate.
Check out this old farm house. I thought it was pretty neat.


When I finally made it to Chicago, we just took it easy most of the evening. Brian tried to teach me Dr. Mario on the NES, but I couldn’t get into it, so Amy showed me what was up. I figured it would be a great time to try out the new tri-pod, and I think the pictures came out pretty good.
The next morning, when Brian and Amy went to pick up the truck for their move, I got to play my second favorite game of all time - Mike Tyson's Punch Out.


The view into their building.


The view out their window. Nice!

This morning I watched Spain vs. Iraq in the Confederations Cup and was thoroughly let down by Spain’s attacking, but impressed by Iraq’s ability to defend, and even have a few powerful shots in transition. After Spain’s thrashing of New Zealand I was looking forward to some more fireworks, but with the substitutions from the last game, I guess I should have expected this.

There you have it.

1 comment :

  1. I love the fact that, they have a macbook, an LCD tv but they are rocking the NES to go with it. (one of these things is not like the other one) tell rainville i says hello.

    ReplyDelete