Friday, August 27, 2010

highs and lows and some humanity

highs
Yesterday I had a good day at school. In my 7th period class, Holocaust Studies, I talked to the students about why we're actually studying the Holocaust. It's the one time in class when I set aside time for actually talking directly at the students. I never like doing it because the resources of books and videos and websites are much more effective in conveying a message, but on this occasion I had everyone's undivided attention. It was almost fun. The students had many questions, showing they were engaged and thinking about what we're going to spend time studying. 


Then we went to the Library for a book pass. I'd forgotten how cool book passes can be, but was reminded about them this summer at the OWP SI. I do book talks, and have the students do book talks, and see value there, but part of me wants to judge which is more effective at connecting students to books, and that part of me thinks that book passes are better because it puts the books in the hands of the students. But then I think about how book talks give a reader voice, to tell about a book and their experiences in reading, and that is pretty powerful. 


Well, I'm blessed to have a librarian who works really hard to provide the students with amazing books and resources. She really is great. She's written grants every year I've been teaching the class (this will be my 3rd) in order to add to the Holocaust Literature library. So, I worked with her to find a good mix of books and then placed them at different tables. The students (28) sat at different tables, looked at the books in 1 minute cycles, and then passed the books from table to table. It worked out really well. Actually, I wasn't feeling like it was working all that well, because they were pretty talkative and a bit louder than I would have liked, but the cool thing was that they were talking about the books, asking questions to one another, and telling each other about the books they had already read. Because many of the books had pictures, they were also sharing the pictures and captions (learning already). I do have my own supply of books, and two were signed by the authors: Bondi's Brother, by Irving Roth and Edward Roth, was signed by Irving Roth during my attendance at the 2008 Holocaust Educators Network Summer Seminar; Eva's Story, by Eva Schloss with Evelyn Julia Kent, was signed by Eva Schloss for my mother after a lecture at the World War II Museum in New Orleans. The students love looking at and showing off the signatures. 


The most fun moment came during the selection of books. After getting to look at the different books, I had the students rank their top three. I showed off the book, and then had those who wanted it check the book out. The problem came when multiple people wanted a book that we only had one copy of. This turned into a great problem for me to have. Students were competing, making cases, for why they wanted the book more and why they should be the one to get to check it out. It also allowed the Librarian and I to connect students with other, similar books. The experience was a bit wild and frenzied because it was happening at the end of the day and I wanted everyone to get to check out, and it certainly could have gone better if I had maybe 5 more minutes, but that's the way things go. On Monday we'll talk about the reading schedule and they'll get set up with wiki pages to share about their books. I'm really excited, and hope that they keep the enthusiasm. 


lows:
I didn't blog about this experience yesterday, which means that I'm the first to lose out on blogging every day of the school year. Thankfully, Sara is really patient with me. I'm trying to blog from school, before I leave, but things weren't working out for me. I left later than normal, without blogging, and headed over to hang out with Casey and Keri. It had been a while since we've done that, and it was really good for me. Then I forgot to blog.


Then this morning I woke up feeling lousy. I've been dealing with some crazy stomach issues that I won't go into, but I will simply tell that I puked enough this morning to scare me. It wasn't one of those, "I'll-puke-and-feel-better-after" pukes either. This happened as I was going out the door to school, so when I arrived at school I asked the secretary to get me a sub as soon as she could, and she was super nice about everything. THANK YOU, ROBIN! I left school around 8:30 to go home before a 10:30 doctor's appointment--the 3rd in 7 days. Not cool. Running more tests, getting more and more invasive, having more scary conversations; it all left me cold and uncomfortable. I walked out of the doctor's office feeling so lonely and tired that I totally broke down in my car. I wept for at least 10 minutes, not knowing how to feel better, how to be healthy. This totally sucks. I didn't even get to finish my first week of school because of this junk. I'm not happy because I don't feel good, I'm legitimately sick according to the doctor but he can't figure out why, and things are now affecting my job. I hate this. 


So there it is. Sorry I had to lay that out there. It wasn't my original intention for this to be some personal blog, but I'm human. My humanity affects my ability as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment