Wednesday, August 25, 2010

writing with my students

I wrote with my students today. I vividly remember thinking, as I sat with them at the tables, "This is what I missed yesterday." And I was so right. First period is a bit behind, so I didn't get anything substantive with them, although I did do the Found Poem activity with them. I needed some time to just write, and although we only wrote for 8 minutes, it was good for me and them. Sharing was cool too, but I'll have to put those pictures up on the class website




I provided prompts, after we talked about different successful teams. I brought up teams such as the New York Yankees and Chicago Bulls (actual sports teams), as well as Metallica, the New York Fire Department, the design and construction team of Extreme Home Makeover, and those who work at Mission Control at NASA. The students brought up the sports teams at PV, as well as the band there and other bands that they liked a lot. Oddly enough, one student actually brought up the NASDAQ stock exchange and described the traders and everyone on the floor, but I think he was making a connection to NASA and thinking of the NYSE floor. Anyway, below are the prompts.

  • What makes a good team?
  • When have you enjoyed being on a team? Why?
  • What type of a team would you like to be on? Why?

Keri brought up a good point in her response to my previous post. I probably need to probe more specifically regarding the actions of the team and teammates, rather than broadly address "a good team." I will admit that I love language and am very attentive to what I the words I use, but I'm not all that good at asking questions, especially unbiased ones. Sometimes I think that I want a biased question, especially with 8th graders, but other times (like when I'm challenged by Keri) I realize that certain questions elicit certain responses, and that's not necessarily good. So maybe we'll consider actions of a team and teammate--like shared interests in writing specifically with regard to identifying and developing topics/genres to write about/in, peer conferences, sharing work space, publishing and positive feedback. 


I've got a lot to think about, and a lot to consider with my students. Casey and Amy had a really neat Cinchcast about teacher/student feedback with regard to writing, and I think I'll have to relisten to that, and probably bring that question to my students too. 

3 comments :

  1. I love that you brought in the team aspect outside the "sports" team. In a poetry challenge to my kids in the spring, I share with them the concept of Disney's Creative team. They pride themselves on thinking outside the box and bringing the right (diverse) group of people to the table. I love reading about them.

    I've posed those questions to my students for several years now. Someone at a writing project mtg asked me to write about my worst/best experiences from a teacher about my writing, so of course, I transferred the questions to my own kids. Reading the student responses puts things into perspective for me once again. Sometimes I lose sight of who's on the other end of my comments in the middle of a busy school year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to be following your daily posts, Thomas. And I love that one of my first entry points into your blog is the fact that you wrote with your students today. I love the fact that you wrote with pen on paper and then digitized that print by photo to post to a blog. So many composing practices in that one set of actions. Looking forward to reading your posts daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have you in my rss. Your mundane brain and my meandering mind have some sort of simpatico connection.
    :)
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete