Thursday, August 12, 2010

just getting it done

I've done a bunch of driving today. And talking. I hate the driving, because it is so absolutely, inescapably hot. I love the talking. It's great. It's the people that make it great. Thanks to all you out there who I got to talk to today. You're great.

Keri and I are working on our "Twitter" piece, whatever it is, for the Digital Is website. I'm really excited to get back into it because it is fun working with Keri, and sharing what we know, even if the knowledge is somehow marginalized or devalued because of the timing. The Digital Is website is very cool. It's beautiful, really. I can't wait to see our work up there. I'm also imagining what other work I or we could put up on the site.

I love the fact that Christina and Kate (and the NWP) used Drupal to make the Digital Is website. And I'm really glad that the content will be user generated. It's important to have the curators there, but it's also important to see the work of regular people. Combining open source and user generated is exciting to me. It's time the high and lofty recognize the expertise present in the masses. It's time value judgments aren't made based on the name on a paper but on the quality of the work.

Civil rights is a fight for equality. It's not over. There are politicians doing all they can to make sure that access is not granted. There are intellectuals making sure that value is based on unfair assessments. Each step in the direction of granting open access and equal privileges is positive. Thank you to NWP for taking a step in that direction with Digital Is.

Now that I've gone on, Adbusters style, I'll stop. I don't know why I write this way, but it seems to always pour out of me this way.

1 comment :

  1. Marginalized and devalued? I thought we were so over that. :)

    ReplyDelete