Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I'm uninspired

I'm uninspired. I only want to sleep. I've just finished watching a special about the Saints' preseason training camp, and then a documentary, "Jordan Rides the Bus." I'm about to take a sleeping pill in an attempt to pass out.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about September 9. I've been doing a lot of thinking about September 15-17. I haven't been doing enough thinking about today or tomorrow with my kids. That's because I'm being selfish with my own time and doing what I want with it.

Our schedule at school has changed, and honestly I don't even know what it is. We've got a new program for taking attendance and doing grades, and I don't feel comfortable with it. I'm still trying to sort out issues with seating arrangements and seating charts and outlets and space for computers. It's all the tools that I'm trying to use the right way that are somehow distracting me from the real goal, interacting with students in meaningful ways.

I want my students to think deeply this year. I want them to stare off into space, to write in order to process, and to ask questions like, "What about ... " or "What if ... " or "Why don't ... " because I know they're anticipating something, they're thinking ahead and considering the possibilities. I want them to work with their teams to think things through in conversation. I want to trust them enough to allow the conversation to wander just enough to keep things interesting.

Tomorrow, I want to consider what teams look like and how they act together. I want them to tell me about a time when they've been on a successful team--a family that worked well together, a sports team winning a game, a band cranking out an amazing song, a group of friends achieving something totally amazing like scoring the perfect slushies at the gas station on a hot Saturday afternoon. Teams come in all shapes and names, and it's not just sports.

I don't know what I really need to do tomorrow. I left school thinking that I need to tighten up some things, mostly simple procedures like passing papers out, turning things in, dismissing the class, transitions from one thing to another--these things play a huge role in the use of instructional time with any group of learners, let along middle-schoolers. I do have to continue to go over the emergency procedures, because we've got drills coming up on Thursday and Friday. I do want to remind them of little things, like pushing their chairs in when they leave class, and keeping the computers neat with regard to how they leave the keyboard, mouse, and monitor. A lot of that stuff has to do with (1) not being in a rush because your teacher is dismissing you late, and (2) being considerate. Sure, we could ask ourselves the question, "Do we every NOT have time to be considerate?" But I must remember that I'm dealing with students who are 13 and 14 years old.

So, we started the Found Poems in 2, 3, and 4 periods. I'll start it in 1st and finish it in all. I want the students to see what it looks like when they all have voice that is equal, when they all contribute something to a whole that cannot be taken apart. I want to show them how to take the Found Poem, and make a further Found Poem by slashing out or blacking out words. I think that would be a lot of fun. I think it would also be most interesting to ask them about how they chose the words to keep and how they chose the words to toss, and why. If they can address each of those, then the deep thinking is actually happening. I'm pretty sure that thoughtful self-awareness is not 8th graders strong suites.

After the Found Poem, we'll go over emergency procedures, and then talk about being on great teams. And then we'll write. We'll share our stories with our teams, and we'll develop community through it all. I do really want the students to develop an awareness and regard for the theme, which might mean that their attitude changes as well. That would be great.

Until next time, good luck!

1 comment :

  1. So, I'm going to problematize this.

    That's what I do.

    I'm going to focus on the word "team." On a team, you all work toward the same goal. Everyone moves together to reach some kind of consensus--a win, whatever. But, if you want them to have a great conversation, do you want to ask them about great teams they've been on? Maybe you want to ask them about the best conversation they've ever had, or the best storyteller they ever heard. Why did they listen to the person tell the story? Who's the person they know who is the best listener?

    So, there you go. My thought for the day.

    ReplyDelete