Monday, August 30, 2010

what a long day


1. Go to Matt's baptism at an Orthodox church. 
2. Eat lunch. 
3. Go to Springfield Cardinals game with Life Group. 
4. Do school stuff.

That was basically my day. It seems really easy to boil it down to a few things. I need to add a few more. 

1A. (before #1) Pick Kristin up from her house.
1C. (after #1, before #2) Relax.
4B. Drop Todd off at his car. 
4C. Shop for groceries. 
4D. Drop Kristin off at home.
4E. Take a nap.

That doesn't seem like very much either. Why am I so tired?

Looking back on the morning, what started out with such wonderful potential was spoiled, and I don't know who to blame it on other than me. Kristin and I weren't quite sure what we were walking into in attending Matt's baptism. I kept thinking that it was going to be something very "Catholic," which I was totally cool with. I've liked attending Catholic mass every since Holy Cross, but I'd never been to an adult baptism. Well, it wasn't "Catholic." It was far from it. 

Our first experience was hilarious. We walked in the door and could immediately tell that it was a Greek Orthodox church. Neither of us had any experience with the liturgy. Kristin texted Matt, and we finally made our way in to meet him and for a quick run-down of what to expect. 

Quickly thereafter there were preparations made and rituals presented prior to the baptism. Three were baptized: a baby girl, Matt, and an older gentleman. The baby was baptized first, and she swallowed quite a bit of water. There were a few tense moments before she would cry after being dunked three times in quick succession. When she did finally cry, there was huge relief from the whole crowd, which maybe numbered about 30. 

Matt was pretty emotional prior to his baptism, and I could tell, even though I had only met the guy that morning, that it meant a lot to him. That was cool to see. After everyone was baptized, the priest offered a short sermon while those baptized changed. There were a few more ritual steps to complete before the process was completed. The priest said something wonderful and almost discouraging, but purposeful in his sermon. He said (and I paraphrase), "I wish I could say that this step means that these three lives are going to be easier from now on. But I can't. Really, it's only the opposite. Life is only going to be more difficult for them. The world is only going to complicate their thinking."

Later in his sermon, during the full liturgy, he reiterated this point. He spoke of a steadfastness of faith, and a new life through baptism. I remember thinking, "I'm not going to come to this church every again, but if this dude was a writer, I would totally read his stuff. I should ask him if he has a blog or a newsletter or something." Something told me that he didn't, so I never asked. 

Anyway, I was really encouraged for the people of the church, and Matt, by knowing that this priest didn't take things easy on them. I go to a different church, and I was a bit nervous walking in those doors this morning. Walking out I was tired and felt a bit pent up (3 hours, full running time; standing and sitting in the same spot the entire time). But whenever I encounter someone who I take as genuine, and who doesn't sugarcoat life, religious or otherwise, I appreciate them. I respect them. I could be totally wrong. The dude could be a complete cheat and liar, but I don't think so. 

So what's the point of all this? Well, the experience got me thinking about a lot of things. But I was so busy with nonstop action that I didn't quite have time to write and process. That's why this time is so important. Writing everyday is helping me process my days, and my thinking. It's helping me see with new eyes the things that I experience through the day. That's pretty important, because when I see with new eyes, and I process the experience, I learn what to do and what not to do. 

I feel like when I process through writing, sometimes the dross rises to the top and sometimes the cream does. Today, I think it's the cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment