Sunday, August 15, 2010

I promise

I wrote this yesterday, I promise. I'm working on a piece on Twitter, which I've been working on for too long to admit. I'm now doing an hour long presentation on Twitter for other English teachers in the district. It's funny, and not at all exciting. I wish I could figure out why. That would be something worth writing. Well, yesterday I wrote this, and I'm not ashamed to post "work writing" on this blog to make sure that I post something everyday, even if I forget to post it that day. Yes, I make mistakes. This is more about the commitment to write everyday than to be a rule follower. So, here it is. It isn't great, but it is the portion I am willing to share. The presentation is on Thursday, so maybe then I'll writing about how everything goes.

Twitter for Teachers: A social networking tool as professional learning network

Yes, it is a social networking tool, which means people develop social connections. But like many things, teachers have found a way to use it as a tool to our benefit, and for two reasons: teaching can be isolating, and teachers love free resources. By following good teachers and administrators on Twitter, we open up a door to what is happening around the country and the world in other classrooms. The isolation can easily be broken down by transparency in practice. That transparency in practice is accomplished through the sharing of ideas and resources. No longer do teachers have to beg, borrow, and steal for something to use in the classroom, all we’ve got to do is listen and learn.

There’s two different types of interaction: friendship-driven and interest-driven. As teachers, we’re not really focusing on the friendship-driven interaction, although I think you will find that once connections on Twitter are developed through interest-driven activities, friendships will arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment