Thursday, August 12, 2010

I'm running late

If I believe in my students enough to know that they want to be better at __________ or that they simply want to be better human beings, I will trust them enough to overlook their mistakes, and I will see in them a great potential and future--NOT because I believe in them or I believe that they can be better, but because they believe in themselves and they want to be better.

The way we talk to one another, the way we approach each other, the way we encourage one another, and work with and for one another would change. And the change would be positive.

My students' learning is not dependent upon me, or the work that I do with and for them. My view, my approach, my perspective of my students and their learning will change me, but it could in turn affect them and their learning. When students believe in themselves, and want to be better, their behavior will be directed positively toward change. Students don't need me to do the believing or the wanting so that their behavior will change. That won't change anything.

1 comment :

  1. This is sort of like a mission or a philosophy. I like it, of course. Does this go for teachers and colleagues, too?

    ReplyDelete